At Apple’s WWDC 2018 developer conference, the most significant announcement was the next iteration of Mac Operating System, which has been dubbed Mac Operating System Mojave that is pronounced as “mo-hah-vee”. It has the upcoming features that includes dark mode, the revamped app store, and desktop stacks make it even more exciting. The mac os mojave wallpaper also add more value to the update.
The Apple has released the first developer beta for macOS Mojave macOS 10.14 when the keynote came to a close and you can try it out right away. Here, the steps are available for you to download and install macOS Mojave beta on any of your Mac computers:
Method 1: How to Install macOS Mojave via OTA Update?
You will need an Apple developer account ($99 a year) to download the update, so I believe you’d have got that sorted out if you are interested in getting the latest software. Now let us see the step by step process for how to install macOS beta via OTA update:
1. First of all, you have to navigate to the download page of Apple’s Developer website and then scroll down to find the macOS Mojave 10.14 beta. Now, you can click on the “Download” button to download the .dmg utility file.
2. Now you can open the downloaded file called “macOS Developer Beta Access Utility.dmg”, and then double-click on the DeveloperBetaAccessUtility.pkg to run the installer.
3. When the installer performs the download, the Mac App Store will open and you can then click on the ‘download’ button under the macOS logo to start the download and installation process.
4. After completing the download process, your Mac will restart and you’ll then be prompted to log back into your Apple account to start using the developer beta.
Method 2: How to Install macOS Mojave Via USB?
While installing the macOS Mojave beta via an OTA update method is the most common way to go, there’s a possibility that you might want to hit refresh on your Mac system. Now, you are ready to sacrifice all your data and start anew. So, here are the steps you need to follow for a clean install:
1. First, you need a USB drive (preferably with 16GB storage). You’ll need to format the USB drive via Disk Utility using the ‘Erase’ option, where you have to keep its name and format unchanged.
2. You need the same OTA image of the macOS Mojave beta that you downloaded from the Mac App Store. Remember, you don’t need to install the image but instead, keep the files in the Applications folder.
3. Now, you need to open Terminal and type in the command shown underneath to copy macOS Mojave onto the USB drive.
4. Now, you may be asked to enter your Mac password. So, you have to follow through and all your installation files will be moved to the USB drive.
5. Finally, restart your Mac and hold down the “Option” key to see a list of available drives and select the USB installer disk.
6. Now, you will see a familiar ‘Disk Utility’ window, which comes in handy for erasing your Mac’s main storage. It is a necessary step for a clean installation, which you can now complete by following the instructions on the screen.